Friday, October 27, 2006

Why?

When I tell people I'm doing National Novel Writing Month and writing a 50,000-word novel in one month, that's what they ask... WHY?

There is something to be said for getting in the habit of writing every day ... of stabbing in the heart that internal editor who tells you your stuff sucks ... of writing to write without a concern for quality.

But the truth, I think, is the sense of accomplishment. It's something I don't get from writing a press release, working on an ad campaign, or (ugh) balancing a budget. It's a personal accomplishment.

For 11 months out of the year, my personal accomplishments are pretty mediocre (finishing a "tough" Sudoku in 10 minutes). But for November, every day is filled with a goal and the entire month has a victory just waiting for me to grab it.

Anyone who's reading this in Greeley is invited to Margie's at 3 p.m. on Sunday to help us kick-off NaNo and see a bunch of other folks ready to accomplish something.

5 comments:

Marilyn Roberts said...

I have been trying to write one page a day to complete a novel. I did finish one a few years ago but it was so bad I wouldn't even send it in to try to get it published. Lawrence Block inspires me to keep on writing. My favorite writers are Dean Koontz (horror, I have all of his books), Nora Roberts, and Kay Hooper, and of course Napoleon Hill. Good luck with your 50,000 words.

Jared Fiel said...

A page a day is great! If I could do even half-that outside of November, I'd be giddy!

Koontz is actually my all-time fav as well. Lately, I've been reading Phillip Margolin, Erik Larson, John Sandford and Nelson Demille.

Good luck to you, also!

Anonymous said...

GIT-R-DONE! from us out here in Nebraska.
drop it likes it hot......
keep on keeping on. I believe if you recieve personal accomplishment
in your work then you are doing the right thing- and as a result good things do follow.
I write a page a day in my head- (trying to save the trees)...
Give it all you got- then some

justvisiting123 said...

Hey Jared,

How about posting Greeley's daily stories on the Trib's Web site? It's a cool effort we'd like to promote. I'm in New Orleans this week at a conference, but I'll be back in the office Monday if you want to talk.

Chris

eba said...

New design! Whoa!