Monday, October 30, 2006

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I realize I go off every year on this topic, but GOOD GOD!!!

First here's the news:
R.E.M., Patti Smith, Chic, the Dave Clark Five, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, The Ronettes, the Stooges, Joe Tex and Van Halen have been nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In January, five of the nine nominees will be selected and will participate in the induction ceremony on March 12th at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City.

My friend Dan sent me this item and he was very excited because of Van Halen, but I have got to tell you this list pisses me off.

First, Van Halen started in 1974. That means they were eligible in 1999. And they are just now put on the list? Ridiculous!

Second, Van Halen was "discovered" in 1976 by Gene Simmons of Kiss. Guess what? Kiss is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This would be laughable if it weren't true!

Third, R.E.M. was founded in 1980 but nobody knew about them until 1982. That means they are eligible for the first time in 2007. And they are on the same ballot? I like REM a lot. I think they did a lot for rock (alt rock, but still rock). But I really think they have to pay some dues.

The following are NOT in the Hall right now (so how can they justify REM?):

Electric Light Orchestra
Squeeze
Yes
Genesis/Peter Gabriel
Rush (MY GOD!!!!)
Alice Cooper
Jethro Tull (I’m not entirely upset about this because of the whole Grammy thing over Metallica!)
ABBA (My wife likes ‘em)
Styx
Def Leppard (1977 founded!)
Journey
And the most egregious one: KISS!

Any one of these groups should be in there. It is a travesty they aren’t. And until the HOF recognizes these issues, it will continue to be a laughingstock. I mean this is the same group that finally enshrined ZZ Topp and Lynyrd Skynrd … LAST YEAR! REM right after them seems crazy!

VH is a no-doubter. Wouldn’t mind Grandmaster and Smith. But I gotta say that REM needs to wait (and, trust me, I’m a fan!).

No comments: