Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Macha out

I know most people who read this blog don't care about baseball, but I have no where else to rant about this...

So, the A's fired Ken Macha ... again.

And even though they FINALLY made it past the first round of the playoffs, I think this is a good move.

The A's were swept by the Tigers. I hate to write those words, but they're true. And it's not that the Tigers had the better team (although they have a great one!). They had a better manager. And that's really hard to swallow after the crappy year Leyland had at the helm of the Rockies.

But the playoffs are a time when managers are needed to fire up a team or turn things around when they aren't working. Macha never did this. I know that professionals shouldn't need to get fired up, but they do. And I know that under Billy Beane no manager is going to really get full control, but something has to be done.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a St. Louis and Detroit series just to have the midwest showcased. And I have to admit, I'll probably be cheering for the Tigers.

No comments: