Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Queen

Forgot my weekend movie review: The Queen.

Condensed version: Pretty bloody good.

Longer: I have to admit that I am of the conspiracy mindset who believes the royal family DID have something to do with Diana's death, so realize I watched the movie through that lens. (I also believe the government shot down United 93, but that's just me).

Anyway, the movie did a great job of showing just how isolated the royals are from real people. As an American is it hard to fathom why these people even exist, but this felt like a rather realistic portrayal of what their lives are like. Certainly makes Tony Blair look good (and his wife, even better!).

I have to admit I thought Helen Mirren was excellent, but I don't see it as the best performance of the year. Guess I'm not into subtlety. Personally, I thought Streep kicked butt in Prada.

Anyway, definitely worth a look.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let your natural, witty sense of humor shine through, and you'll be fine. Don't TRY to be funny. Then you won't be. At all.

Like the "Dad" thing. That was funny, and I know you wrote that in like two seconds.