Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Reading to keep you from sleeping

First, a confession. I am a complete Dean Koontz freak.

It all began many years ago when my parents told me I should read "Watchers." I was completely blown away at the way Koontz wove humanity, science, thrills, humor and a moving theme into one novel. It remains to this day as my favorite book. Since then, I have read everything Koontz ever wrote and I even wrote him a gushing fan letter (for which I received a very nice hand-written reply that I have framed and a signed copy of a book for helping him with an inaccuracy in an Olivia Goldsmith book).

So, now I'm reading his latest book called "Life Expectancy." Dean's most recent books have included even more humor and more spiritual elements. The spiritual side would be a turnoff if it were done by a lesser writer, but Dean is simply brilliant. From his amazingly textured descriptions to his thrilling plots, I never fail to be amazed at his talent. Dean inspired me to write and his quality of writing continues to be a goal I can only hope to achieve. I am now about 50 pages from finishing "Expectancy" and it is another outstanding piece. Funny. Wonderful and original plot. Great characters. I can only hope that one day I can write half this well.

I just received notice (from Dean's dog, Trixie, who apparently has developed canine e-mail abilities) that Dean is releasing a four-part paperback series called, "Dean Koontz's Frankenstein" where he reimagines the classic tale with the monster granted not only life but immortality by the lightning storm. He picks up in modern day New Orleans. I have to admit I was a little worried about this selection for a series of books, but I can't think of any writer who I would trust to continue the Mary Shelley's original story.

I can't wait.

No comments: