Monday, January 03, 2005

Best and worst movies of 2004

First, I must give credit where it's due. I'm stealing this idea (not the movies) from my buddy Eric Anderson.
Second, I will also admit I'm a movie freak. I have several people to thank for this... my wife who is as much of a freak as me, my mother-in-law who offers free and frequent babysitting and my sister-in-law who offers her movie passes (she won the local Oscar contest).

So, here are my thoughts for the best flicks of the year (I admit to the ones I still have to see below)

BEST OF 2004 (to date)

#1 Finding Neverland (Saw it over the weekend and it is simply outstanding. Best movie, by far. Until I see The Aviator, it's my vote for Best Picture)
#2 Ray (Brilliant performance by Jaime Foxx. My vote for Best Actor)
#3 Dawn of the Dead (rent it and then you can laugh)
#4 Manchurian Candidate (may not be as great as the first one, but still fantastic)
#5 Shrek 2
#6 Kill Bill No. 2 (WAY better than the first)
#7 Harry Potter (WAY better than the first two)
#8 The Incredibles
#9 Collateral
#10 Shawn of the Dead (simply the funniest movie of the year
#11 Spongebob (any movie with references to both David Hasselhoff and Twisted Sister is just awesome... plus it answers that question we have all had "What would Patrick look like in fish-net stockings?")

Honorable mention
Spidey 2
The Terminal
Home on the Range (There were some really funny parts in this, plus the music was pretty good!)
Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind
Saw (Creepy movie with horrible acting)
The Village (OK, so it wasn't even close to his best, but there were some brilliant shots in it and it still would have made a great Twilight Zone episode)


Worst of 2004 (in no particular order)
Envy (What a complete waste of talent)
Closer (ditto -- except the English guy is pretty good)
Day After Tomorrow (I wasn't smart enough to leave like my friend Eric Olsen, but when the world is about to end, do you really think you have to throw in WILD WOLVES!?!?!)
King Arthur (I just don't understand the appeal of the main dude -- but he was the only thing decent in Closer)
Christmas with the Kranks (you know when you are sitting with your kids at home and you think, "hmm, let's go see a movie. We have passes so it'll be free and at least it will entertain the kids."? Well, I was wrong.
Ladykillers (this wouldn't be on the worst list if it had not been done by The Coens. I guess I have higher expectations).
Jersey Girl (this wouldn't be on the worst list if it had not been done by Kevin Smith. I guess I have higher expectations).
Hellboy

Movies I still need to see...

Sideways
The Aviator
Team America
Flight of the Phoenix
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I know it's not out yet, but I just can't wait for this!!!!)
Meet the Fokkers (I hate Babs so I might just wait for NetFlix)
Life Aquatic
Spanglish
Metallica -- Some Kind of Monster

No comments: