Monday, January 31, 2005

A friend indeed

Happiness may be a warm puppy (although that means I'm allergic to happiness!), but I have figured out friendship is a 240-page manuscript.
Technically, it's editing a 240-page manuscript.
My good friend Eric Anderson recently took on this task to help me meld my novel from the mess it was to something I might be able to publish someday. Eric took the task seriously and offered outstanding comments on everything from character continuity to timeline.
Coming from newspapers, I understand the need to have others look at your work to help edit it. My wife faithfully edits my regular columns (although I probably too often ignore her suggestions!).
Eric saved me from a number of embarrassing mistakes and rightfully questioned some of the motivations of characters and plot points. His input to this has been unforgettable. Hell, he was the one who got me into Nano in the first place.
Eric keeps saying that editing my book will help him edit his own. I truly hope this is true. Eric has always had keen insight into issues and a great flair for the English language and I can't wait to see the results of his months of labor.
Thanks, EA!

1 comment:

eba said...

Wrath is a great read, a future-award-winning thriller featuring a Slurpee swilling God, an overambitious Type A yoga master cop, the coolest hacker and the smelliest dog since I don't know when. Plus, while one mystery is solved, you're left wondering about a larger one. Buy it, when it comes to a bookstore near you in fall 2006.