Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Cool tunes and deeper thoughts

Last night we attended the Air Force Band Holiday Concert in Greeley. Tracy's cousin's husband, mark Burditt, plays trombone.

Two observations: One personal and the second broader...

First, the personal, my boys stayed up throughout the concert (ending around 10 p.m.) and we stuck around to say howdy to Mark. The boys were giddy and were getting autographs from Mark (who we see every year at Christmas, but apparently, he was never autograph-worthy until they saw him in concert) and some of the others in the band. I took the kids to school today because Tracy had a doc appointment this morning. I thought it was going to be hell because of the late hour, but they were great. It was a wonderful lazy morning without having to rush to work. I think I know why Tracy likes that so much.

Second, the Air Force concert has been an annual event for our family since we moved to Greeley and I always truly enjoy it. I'm amazed at the talent of this crew (Eric Anderson would have appreciated the hauntingly beautiful Celtic flute and drum song!). Tracy's sister refused to go last night and I had a feeling it had something to do with her blue-state leanings. I think she was worried about the God and country references. And, yes, there were plenty of those, but it was also a fun evening with family listening to some amazingly impressive music. That's not red or blue or anything else. It's just life. I am not a religious person, but that doesn't mean I couldn't enjoy the music. I understand some people are more into politics than I am, but shouldn't we be able to enjoy each other and forget about this other crap some times?

No comments: