Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hall(elu)Yeah!

OK, I know I complain about this every year, but this year, there appears to be hope.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced the nominees for this year's class and they FINALLY have a great one.
Metallica.
Although they were eligible last year (when MADONNA got in), the hall realized they should throw a bone to actual rock and put the Bay Area boys on the nominee list.
So, thank you, "music experts" for giving us that one.
Now for the complaints (or in other words, the other nominees):

  • Run-D.M.C. (I'm not a fan of rap but I will actually concede this one. This group opened doors and eyes and also crossed genres with rock when few others would admit to sampling ... yes, Vanilla Ice I'm talking to you).
  • The Stooges ... Iggy Pop certainly is an icon. Don't know much of The Stooges. Hard to think of them as HOF material.
  • Jeff Beck ... he's not in already? This should get cleared up.
  • Wanda Jackson ... huh?
  • Little Anthony and the Imperials ... huh (part 2)?
  • War ... one-hit wonders are not HOF
  • Bobby Womack ... seriously, did they just pick names out of the phone book
  • Chic ... I have a hard time putting disco in the HOF. They were huge for about a year or two. Not HOF.

I know what you're saying: "That's it? That's all?" Yup, those are the choices. The top five vote-getters get in. If Metallica doesn't make it, I just might blow a gasket.

In case you are wondering, here are some of the artists still not in the Hall (or even been nominated):

  • KISS ... this is a travesty to the point of being ridiculous. What do these people want? Great music? Check. Influencial? Name a band today that doesn't owe at least something to them. Longevity? Duh! Hit records? How about dozens plus the No. 1 song in the country and a Grammy for "Beth."
  • The Moody Blues ... yup, not in.
  • Rush ... just a travesty
  • Alice Cooper ... should go in the year after KISS
  • Stevie Ray Vaughn ... see how stupid this is?
  • Deep Purple
  • Yes
  • Bad Company (if only Bobby Womack had been the lead singer, huh?)
  • Neil Diamond (c'mon, admit it ...)
  • Cheap Trick
  • Judas Priest
  • Iron Maiden
  • Journey
  • Peter Gabriel (for his videos alone, he should be in)
  • Bon Jovi (eligible for the first time this year and they should get in sometime ... although Runaway is still their best song IMHO)

At least if Metallica makes it, the show will be worth watching. Fortunately Jethro Tull isn't on the nominee list so we don't have a Grammy screw-up AGAIN!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A few others:

• Def Leppard - The band is the ONLY one ever to have TWO 10 million-selling albums. If that doesn't get them in I don't know what will.
• Motley Crue - A dirtbag band, yes, but probably the most influential hair metal band of all time, and they just released a killer album this year.
• Scorpions - Borderline, but it seems the HOF loves to put in borderline cases, so I'll pitch them.
• Pat Benatar - Probably the only woman to have a consistent, hard-rocking career for many years. I thought about Joan Jett and Lita Ford but it seems to me that Pat had more of a consistent career.
• Duran Duran (are they in?) - You can't think early 80s without them. They defined MTV for a while. Plus they had a long and consistent career.

I also wonder if Ozzy deserves his own entry. Hard to say.
I agree with many of your selections. Is Chicago in? I'd probably throw them in there. Steeley Dan? They'd better be.

Jared Fiel said...

I'd agree with all of yours ... AFTER Kiss gets in.
I would probably put in The Runaways (Lita and Joan together!) before Pat. Yes, Pat had more hits and was a fashion icon, but The Runaways did it first (and better!).
Scorps are also a toughie. I love them but they really didn't do anything original. Crue and Leppard did.
I hated (still hate) Duran(squared) but I wouldn't have a problem with them in there.
AFTER Kiss.