Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Exhausted


This is Alex after staying up all night for the Relay For Life on Friday/Saturday.
He was excited to stay up, but he couldn't even keep his eyes open once the sun came up. All night long, he was putting entries into a raffle for a portable bike that one group was selling. He waited for them to do the drawing, but fell asleep on the sidewalk. He didn't win, but the lady who did win wanted Alex to have it.
We tried to wake him up to show him, but he was dead to the world. I picked him up from the sidewalk and he stood up, but he was still pretty out of it and didn't even register the bike. He started to stumble and I caught him and placed him in this chair. About 30 minutes later, he woke up, saw the bike and said, "Whose is that?"
All in all, it was a great Relay. Alex's team won Bronze status (I've never had a ranked team ... must help to be cute!).
This is an amazing community and even after the horrible tornado and the more than $250,000 raised in relief for the victims there, this event still raised $417,000 for cancer research and programs.
The rest of the weekend was a blur ... sleeping (lots), saw "Don't Mess with the Zohan" (terrible!), watched the first disc of Season 3 of Weeds (hilarious!), almost finished Season One of Veronica Mars (pretty darn good but not as "top 5" brilliant as Kevin Smith says), took the boys to "KungFu Panda" (OK, but the voices were under-used), bought some more plants for my garden (my volunteer pumpkins didn't volunteer this year ... got some more, some watermelon, tomato and cucumber), killed three wasp nests in the backyard (I hate those buggers) and watched a HUGE fire just down our street as one of my neighbors was later arrested for setting his own house on fire.
Yesterday I played in an Arizona Scramble golf tournament at the Greeley Country Club. It was the first time I've played that course and it was awesome. I didn't play particularly great but we used my drive about six or so times. The best was on the last hole which also happened to be the long-drive competition hole. I cranked one right down the middle and it measured 298 yards! (ended up being halfway between the women's long drive and about 30 yards shy of the men's). That was probably my best drive ever and I was pretty darn giddy. Then watched Alex's baseball game and then played softball. No wonder I'm tired.

No comments: