Friday, November 09, 2007

hurts so good

I have to admit that when I started Nano this year (hoping for my fifth year of success!), I wasn't too excited. It almost seemed more of an obligation.

But numerous times over the last year, the story for this novel snuck up on me and invaded my thoughts. (Sadly, an ending hasn't created itself yet). And so, I knew I had to finish this novel this year.

The good part is that I'm scaring myself already. I turned a simple task of my bad guy stealing some dinner from a fridge into a race and a hunt. It's been really fun. The plot is driving the story right now. I occasionally make myself make note of the characters, descriptions, place, smells, etc. But I just want to get back to the story. And since that's the kind of story I like to read (see James Patterson), I think that's what I should focus on.

The hard part is having no idea where my plot is going and relying my whole story on it.

We got a note the other day from NaNo about characters and how, if they feel like they aren't fleshed out, you should cast them. So here goes:

Anthony Speck (my bad guy) ... A genetic mutation of Kevin Spacey and Vince Vaughn
Dean Wilson (Dad) ... My neighbor in San Diego Donnie Crabtree
Elizabeth Wilson (Mom) ... Kate Hudson and Teresa Myers (who I worked with at the Trib)
Peter Wilson (4-year-old son) ... Alex (smart kid with a big imagination)
Olivia Wilson (2-year-old daughter) ... Andy (not the gender but the attitude)

Oh, and as of this morning, I'm at 14,800 words which is slightly behind pace but the weekends tend to be tough for writing so I hope I can keep up. Plus I have poker tonight.

No comments: