Friday, December 01, 2006

D'oh

So, now that NaNo is over, we can get to more serious issues...

TV Land is brilliant because it is doing the 100 greatest catchphrases ever list.

The only things wrong with the list of nominations: Paris Hilton is in there and "finger-lickin' good" isn't!

Here are my top 10:

1. "D'oh!" (Homer Simpson, "The Simpsons") – The fact this is now in the dictionary just shows how much it has taken over. I use this word daily (in my feeble attempt to decrease the number of actual swear words I say daily)

2. "Do you believe in miracles?" (Al Michaels, 1980 Winter Olympics) – For historical relevance as well as just the perfect summation of the event. Any time someone says “Do you believe …” you immediately think back to this.

3. “And that's the way it is" (Walter Cronkite, "CBS Evening News”) – Just classic.

4. “I know nothing!" (Sgt. Schultz, "Hogan's Heroes”) – Another one of those things I say pretty much every day. Anyone under 30 has no idea what I’m saying, but screw ‘em.

5. “Yada, yada, yada" ("Seinfeld") – I figure it would be bad form to have more than one line from one show so I chose this over “No soup for you” but it was tough.

6. “Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" (Arnold Drummond, "Diff'rent Strokes") – When I first say the name of this list, this was the first phrase that popped in my mind.

7. “Jane, you ignorant slut" (Dan Aykroyd to Jane Curtin, "Saturday Night Live") – Again I didn’t want two from the same show so this beat out “2 wild and crazy guys” mainly because I can’t meet someone named Jane without thinking about this.

8. “The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat" (Jim McKay, "ABC's Wide World of Sports") – Classic.

9. “If it weren't for you meddling kids!" (Various villains, "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?”) – You know that “meddling” was actually supposed to be a swear word!

10. “Say good night, Gracie" (George Burns, "The Burns & Allen Show") – This is one of my all-time fav shows and this line is just awesome!

Honorable mentions:
_"De plane! De plane!" (Tattoo, "Fantasy Island")
_"Good night, John Boy" ("The Waltons")
_"Here's Johnny!" (Ed McMahon, "The Tonight Show")
_"Holy (whatever), Batman!" (Robin, "Batman")
_"How you doin'?" (Joey Tribbiani, "Friends")
_"I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" (Vicks Formula 44 ad)
_"It keeps going and going and going ..." (Energizer Batteries ad)
_"Mom always liked you best" (Tommy Smothers, "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour")
_"Nip it!" (Barney Fife, "The Andy Griffith Show")
_"No soup for you!" (The Soup Nazi, "Seinfeld")
_"Oh, my God! They killed Kenny!" (Stan and Kyle, "South Park")
_"One small step for man ..." (Neil Armstrong)
_"Tastes great! Less filling!" (Miller Lite beer ad)
_"Up your nose with a rubber hose" (Vinnie Barbarino, "Welcome Back, Kotter")
_"We are two wild and crazy guys!" (Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd as Czech playboys, "Saturday Night Live")

No comments: