Monday, August 28, 2006

Should I be worried?

For the longest time, my tastes and those of the general critical elite who hand out awards were at complete odds. But, then it started with "Crash" winning Best Picture.

And then, last night, my favorite drama, 24, and my favorite comedy, The Office, took top honors at the Emmys. Plus, Jeremy Piven from Entourage won. I have to tell you this is a little unsettling for me.

The only good news is that the entertainment rags are complaining that the awards have stunk lately. So many people were mad that Brokeback didn't win (I still think it was an average story). And now people are complaining because Desperate Housewives wasn't even nominated. The only thing I agree with the complaints on is that "Lost" wasn't nominated. That show is incredible. It's not quite as pulse pounding but somehow the writers make me think it's OK that polar bears and magic numbers can exist on this island, because I had a really hard time with a lot less crazy things happening on 24 (i.e. the freakin' cougar, the atomic bomb in the desert, the deadly virus that clears a room in 2 seconds just by turning on the air conditioning, etc.)

So, I guess I have become mainstream and, according to the rags, the mainstream sucks. I guess I can live with that.

No comments: