Thursday, February 17, 2005

Pop culture 101

OK, I'm working on my column and I need help...

The idea started when the 21-year-old receptionist in our office said, "Who was that guy performing at halftime at the Super Bowl?"

"You don't know who Paul McCartney is?"

"Nope."

This is just sad, so I'm going to do a column on how our schools (or at least parents) need to be teaching Pop Culture 101 so we can all speak from the same platform of knowledge...

So, what things do you think should be taught in this new curriculum? Here are some of my ideas but I need a bunch more for a column... please help!!!

* The Breakfast Club -- mandatory viewing with a short description of what "The Brat Pack" was.

* The Twinkie defense -- I realize this may have a Bay Area slant to it, but the whole Harvey Milk thing was so strange, it's a term I still hear all the time (by those over 30)

* Willy Wonka (the original) -- just for the Oompa Loompas (because I'll bet the Johnny Depp flick won't have orange-faced little people singing "... doopity-doo.")

I have a bunch more, but I could use more... Anything? ... Bueller? ... Bueller? (see, there's one!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read Far Side books with your kids -- it's a great education for both of you (trying to explain why certain cartoons are funny).

- Sit-Com Viewing: Hogan's Heroes, Brady Bunch, Dick Van Dyke Show, Gilligan's Island & Leave it To Beaver (maybe also: I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched).

- Rock 101: The greats of the '50s (Chuck Berry, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Buddy Holly)
The '60s (Dylan, The Who, The Stones, The Beatles, Motown greats, Beach Boys) and the '70s: Jackson Five, Creedence, Marvin Gaye, AC/DC, KISS, etc.)

- PeeWee's Playhouse (now on DVD!)

- Monty Python's Flying Circus (now on DVD!)

- Board games: Operation, Monopoly, Risk, Yahtzee and Scrabble.

- Cartoon books: Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, Bloom County, early Dilbert.

- Comic Books - Mad Magazine, Archie comics

- Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Happy Hollisters, Wizard of Oz books (all of 'em)

- Sports teams: be able to name the mascot and city of all baseball, football and NBA teams and one famous player from each team.

- State capitols: memorize via song.