Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Near brush with greatness

So, first, I'll set the scene.

My Aunt Sandy comes to town to see her daughter, Darcy, in Denver. She drops me a note that she'd like to see the kids, Tracy and I (probably in that order!). So, I figured it would be fun to take them to Casa Bonita (I didn't find out until later they had been there before).

Anyway, we were there and I took the boys through the arcade while Tracy, Sandy and Darcy talked.

And then I saw him... at least I thought it was him.

Standing with his kid and his wife in the arcade was a guy who I swear was Rob Reiner. (Side note: Reiner is one of my favorite people in the world, having directed the greatest movie of all time "This is Spinal Tap" and another in the top 10 with "Princess Bride" plus I loved him as Meathead on All in the Family).

But I wasn't sure. Didn't want to feel like a moron. So, I ran back to the table and tell the women about it. I wanted Tracy to see if I'm right (she's an avid People Mag reader so I figured she's be good). She says she has no idea what Rob Reiner looks like. So, Aunt Sandy volunteers. "I know Rob Reiner," she says with confidence.

I took her back to the arcade and pointed to the guy wearing the blue hat across the room.

"No way," she says. "That's not him. His hair is more gray than that." She said it with such conviction I felt stupid for even thinking he could have been him.

You know where this is going. Click here.

Of course, it was him. He was here for the NBA All-Star Game (Casa Bonita is just a few miles away from Pepsi Center). The kid in the picture next to him was the same one from the restaurant... The picture is from the Denver Post website.

I still love you, Aunt Sandy ... I'm just not sure I trust you anymore... at least when it comes to celebrity sightings!

No comments: