Thursday, February 03, 2005

The Birds

OK, Mr. Anderson thinks I should write my column about the birds. But I know the Trib is working on a story on the birds, so I'll just write about it here...

It started on Tuesday as I was driving west to pick up Andy from school. The sun was starting to set and I saw this funky black floaty thing in the sky. I'm not sure how I didn't wreck. Anyway, when I pulled into the school, several other people were looking into the sky. That's when I figured out the black shape was actually thousands of small black birds (I later found out they are starlings). The birds didn't just stay in one shape. Nope, they flew in large clusters and then morphed together to make amazing geometric designs. My friend, Andy Segal, was there picking up his son and we watched the birds for about 20 minutes. "It looks like a screen saver," he said. That's the best description I have heard yet.
The birds apparently go out every night about 5 p.m. and do this amazing aerial dance. It is just amazing to see all these birds flying together. And then, all of the sudden, they turn and all you can see is their white under-bellies and it's almost like they disappeared.
Want proof it's amazing? Well, some guy was driving in the area and was so blown away by the birds that he wanted to take a picture with his camera-phone. Unfortunately, he didn't pull over to do this and he ended up rear-ending this poor woman in a rather brutal crash. See! The birds are rebelling! They are trying to take us out one-by-one.
Oh, well, it is really cool.
See... not much for a column, huh?

2 comments:

eba said...

Yes! The Birds! What about the preschool playground? That might be the best part!

Jared Fiel said...

OK, OK, so the birds have become such a nuisance at the school, they have wrapped all the trees around the daycare playground because the birds were pooping around there and the little kids were eating it. Lovely, huh?