Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Monster mash

So, last night I FINALLY got to see Metallica's "Some Kind of Monster." If you haven't heard of it, it's an amazing documentary about Metallica making their latest record (although it's on CD, they still call it that... strange) "St. Anger."

It's a great look at one of my favorite bands of all time. When I was going to high school in California, Metallica reigned supreme in the Bay Area. I saw them six times in concert in various venues and they were always incredible.

But watching this movie was a real eye-opener as well. What I remember about Metallica is that the members were all about my age. That was probably part of their appeal to me. So, now, most of the guys in the band are married and have kids, too. So, they are in the studio, recording some of the hardest, loudest music they have ever made, and their kids are crawling all over the control room.

It was probably not one of the intended themes, but I was just blown away at how these guys were able to be regular dads (going to ballet class!) and still be able to do their music better than ever. Every dad who thinks a kid is going to ruin his life's goals needs to see this. Sure, these guys aren't the perfect fathers (one misses a son's first birthday to go to Russia to kill a bear!), but they are very loving and realize that family comes first. With a family's loving support, anything is possible.

No comments: