Thursday, July 27, 2006

Boys at play

I love softball. It's one of the few activities grown men can play and still feel like they are playing a real sport ... while drinking beer.

Last night, our team was booted out of the tournament after a horribly bad day in the field and at the plate.

But the experience was interesting for me as I watched some of the other teams playing. First, you need to know I play in a men's novice league. Parapalegic gerbils are more competitive than my league. Despite this, just about every game a big fight breaks out over a blown call, a rule or somebody bringing the wrong beer brand.

That's where I figured it out. These are grown men playing a kid's game. The minute we step on that field, we are just boys again. (It's when we get off the field and our backs are hurting that we realize we're old men again).

No comments: