Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Goosed

I love lists and other fun things people get to argue about. And I love baseball.

So, I love the annual Baseball Hall of Fame announcements.

I have three favorite all-time baseball players ... none of whom are in the Hall of Fame ... yet.

First, Pete Rose ... I don't care what he did after he played ... the baseball hall of fame is not a place for political statements, it's a place for baseball greats and Pete should be there.

Second, Rickey Henderson ... I'm sure he'll be in once he decides to actually retire. I love the guy's drive to succeed and be the best ... even now. I remember as a kid when I watched Rickey break Lou Brock's career record. I blew off several soccer practices just to see it happen on my little black and white TV in my room. He's just outstanding!

Now, you may be thinking that two of my favorite players are ... well ... ummm ... ok, I'll just say it ... JERKS. I suppose that's true. Neither Pete or Rickey are nice guys. But there's nobody I would rather watch play the game than those two guys in their prime.

My third pick is a nice guy ... although he wasn't on the baseball field.

Goose Gossage was scary. I mean really scary. He had the greatest stare down from the mound ever (although Dave Stewart later came close). He was a set-up man and a closer combined. He was ruthless and efficient. He was perfection.

For years, Goose has been overlooked for the Hall. I am truly hopeful that he finally makes it today when the HOF class is announced. I know everyone says Bruce Sutter is the only one who might make it, but Goose is far more deserving in my book. Sutter invented the splitter. Goose invented the closer position (coupled with the set-up guy). Which one had more of an impact on the game?

Anyway, hopefully, at noon today, I can finally say that one of my top three is a HOFer.

No comments: