Monday, June 06, 2005

Wet Relay

One of my favorite activities of the year is always the Weld County Relay For Life which raises money for the American Cancer Society through an 18-hour team relay walk. I love the sense of community as Greeley's event has grown to be one of the biggest in the country. My life (like everybody's) has been touched by cancer and every year during Relay I think about the loved ones I've lost and the folks I know who have survived this horrible disease.

This year's Relay was a little different for me. I had a wonderful team of folks from my new job at Aims Community College. We also teamed up with local radio station, SUNNY 97.9. We had all the makings for a great event.

But then Mother Nature decided to have some fun with us.

We were setting up our camp around 3:45 p.m. and we were on the air for about 15 minutes when the rain started. Hard. We tried to keep everything dry, but we weren't really successful. I went to the opening ceremony at 6 p.m. in a downpour. From there, the event moved inside to a large exhibition building.

We hastily grabbed all of our stuff and even had the radio station back on the air in a matter of minutes. In the end, the event was a little smaller with many of the people opting to stay home where it was dry. However, about 2,000 people stuck it out and walked all night. It was amazing to see the dedication of these hearty folks. And in the end we raised a record total of $520,000. Pretty amazing.

No comments: